Occupational Health Safety & Rehabilitation Coordinator - [Archived Advertisement]
The GEO Group Australia Pty Ltd (View other jobs from this organisation)
Combine your passion to help other people and drive our safety culture.
Utilise your skillset in an exciting and unique industry.
Join a leading Correctional facility that is committed to improving your community.
An attractive annual salary range between $100,000-$110,000 plus superannuation.
About The GEO Group Australia
We are the country's leading provider of outsourced correctional services, operating in NSW and VIC. GEO aims to deliver better corrections and create safer communities. We focus on providing a continuum of care and integration of services to make a real difference in the lives of people we work with. Our company is defined by us always acting with Integrity, showing everyone Respect without fail, being Accountable at all times, always being Agile and continuously looking for opportunities to be Innovative. For more information about our organisation visit our website www.geogroup.com.au
To view our videos, including the type of individuals we seek to join our business, click here.
About Ravenhall Correctional Centre
Ravenhall is Victoria’s largest, medium security prison for adult sentenced and unsentenced males. Its contemporary campus-style design provides a safe and humane environment that enables and nurtures GEOs Continuum of Care operating philosophy.
Ravenhall also has a dedicated Forensic Mental Health Unit, a specialised Closed Supervision Unit for prisoners with significant challenging behaviours, and a small Mission Based Unit for prisoners who have never been in custody before. In recognition of the importance of Continuum of Care, Ravenhall extends its presence into the community by providing ex-prisoners with access to post-release support at GEO’s Community Reintegration Centre.
With key focus on young adult offenders, Aboriginal and those with complex and mental health needs, prisoners at Ravenhall have significant opportunities to engage in work, education, programs and services, through an evidence based approach to reduce re-offending.
Ravenhall’s unprecedented emphasis on offender rehabilitation and reintegration is evidenced through collaborative and integrated relationships with key Alliance service partners including Forensicare, Correct Care Australia, YMCA, Honeywell and Bendigo Kangan Institute of Tafe.
To learn more about Ravenhall Correctional Centre, click here.
About the Role
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, this role will see you coordinate, lead, plan and drive OH&S requirements within the workplace as well as manage our successful return to work initiatives.
Your drive to promote and nurture a positive safety culture focus across our centre (including for prisoners working in industries or other parts of the Centre) will focus your core experiences on all centre OHS responsibilities. In addition, in conjunction with the Senior Human Resources Officer, you will guide our staff to achieve sustainable return to work outcomes in respect of both work related and non-work related injuries/illnesses.
Some of your primary duties and responsibilities will include:
- Provide guidance and leadership on site-specific risk management frameworks which incorporate physical and psychological risks, considered in conjunction with industry specific security requirements.
- Maintain a strategic framework for the development of annual organisational Injury Management and Workers Compensation objectives and targets. This includes the development of action plans, budgets and work cover strategies to enable delivery of outcomes in accordance with the GEO Health and Safety plan.
- Conduct incident investigations in a timely manner and identify suitable recommendations to remedy and prevent reoccurrences of incidents.
- Coordinate and oversee various health and safety committee groups (ie. Health and Safety Representative and Committee (OHS) / PPE Champions) meetings on a regular basis ensuring that action items are addressed and implemented accordingly.
- Guide the Leadership Group with requirements to establish, maintain and implement COVIDSafe Plan requirements ensuring full oversight of Centre wide COVIDSafe Plan being reviewed on a regular basis (inclusive of COVID Marshall related outcomes).
- Assist the Staff Wellbeing Coordinator in the delivery of preventative strategies for occupational violence, mental health and staff wellbeing initiatives.
- Develop and implement strategies to support leaders in identifying suitable duties of injured or ill employees returning to work.
- Developing strong relationships with all staff, Alliance Partners and other stakeholders by fostering an ethos that encourages reporting of incidents and trust.
- Ensure organisational compliance with the OH&S Act (Vic) 2004, Accident Compensation Act 1985 (VIC), Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013 and supporting regulations.
Please note: This role is required to work on site, attributable to the nature of the role and the Correctional Services industry being regarded as an Essential Service.
For more information about this position, please click here to download the position description.
About Your Skills and Experience
To succeed in this role, you will possess the following:
- Previous experience as an OHS Specialist or similar role;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Hold tertiary qualifications in OHS/Work Health & Safety or similar;
- Can demonstrate expertise in the field of managing health and safety risks;
- Have sound knowledge of ISO 45000 and 31000;
- Ability to lead a Health and Safety and Wellbeing culture in a collaborative and consultative manner
- Passionate about driving positive workplace safety culture.
Importantly, we are looking for someone who is proactive, able to work as part of a broader Human Resources team and has strong communication and organisational skills in order to positively influence change and engage employees. You will be comfortable communicating industry updates, coordinating local health and safety representatives’ committee meetings and associated activities, carrying out risk assessments in conjunction with subject matter experts and creating process improvements across the workforce, while delivering the GEO Health and Safety Plan.
Most importantly, you will believe in our Continuum of Care model that supports our vision that better corrections will create safer communities.
About the Training and Benefits
Joining GEO is your chance to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of prisoners, their families and the community. Benefits of working for GEO, include but are not limited to:
- Role diversity and internal career progression opportunities
- Flexible working arrangements
- Range of staff wellbeing initiatives and recognition schemes
- Competitive salary and rewards scheme
- Free parking
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Staff gym
- Subsidised meals
GEO provides ongoing supervision and professional development to ensure that employees continue to develop and grow while working at Ravenhall. We are committed to creating a positive working culture where all employees can work ethically and responsively to meet the needs of staff and prisoners, therefore promoting lasting positive change.
Enjoy Christmas as the position will commence in the New Year
If successful for this role you will be considered an authorised worker and as such will be requested to show evidence during the recruitment process confirming you have satisfied the mandated Covid-19 vaccination requirements as set out by the Victorian Government and Department of Health and Human Services for authorised workers.
For any enquiries, or to discuss the position in more detail please contact Natalie Hansen, Human Resources Manager on (03) 8363 2602 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications close 9:30 pm, Sunday 12 December 2021.
- Closing Date:
- 12 Dec 2021
- VIC - Ravenhall
- $100,000 - $110,000 plus superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time