Central Clinical School, Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Sydney Medical School
Reference no. 2304/1117
- Exciting opportunity to prepare and delivery practical classes in Infectious Diseases and Immunology for science, medical, dental and post-graduate students
- Located at our Camperdown campus
- Fixed term role for 2 years, remuneration package $84,435 which includes leaving loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Head of Department, Professor Warwick Britton you would assist in the preparation and delivery of practical classes in Infectious Diseases, Virology and Immunology to students in BMedSc, BSc, USMP, USDP and the Post-Graduate Studies in Infection and Immunity courses. Provide technical assistance and support to Honours and Postgraduate students and academic staff undertaking research projects. Assist in maintenance of laboratory equipment and the Discipline's laboratory collections
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Technical Officer with:
- proven experience in Bacterial culture techniques, Cell culture techniques, including cell lines and primary mouse and human cells for immunological and virological studies
- demonstrated experience in molecular biology, microbiology and immunology techniques and immunological essays
- proven excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to organise and present laboratory teaching
- demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and liaise effectively with others at all levels including students, co-workers, academic and clinical teachers
- demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft office suite and commonly used programs with the ability to learn usage of online teaching resources
- proven ability to implement occupational health and safety guidelines
- an education background - BSc in Medical Microbiology or a relevant area with previous experience in preparing or implementing practical classes.
Infectious Diseases and Immunology teaches in the Sydney Medical and Dental Graduate Programmes, the Bachelor of Medical Science and Bachelor of Science degrees, as well as a broad range of science-related degrees. The Department also offers a course-work Masters in Infection and Immunity with units of study in bacteriology, virology, immunology ad infection control. Research expertise lies in the area of study of both micro-organisms and the immunological responses that lead to their prevention and eradication
Sydney Medical School is dedicated to improving the health of people in Australia and elsewhere, through high-quality education, research and the provision of health care. The School has a large student body with 1200 medical students, more than 1300 students in postgraduate courses, nearly 1000 students undertaking higher research degrees and major undergraduate teaching programs in medical and health sciences.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11.30pm 14 January 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.