Research Scientist - Host-microbiome integration
Research Scientist - Host-microbiome integration
- Work on the integration of multi-level systems information
- Support and mentor students and postdocs
- Join CSIRO’s Microbiome Future Science Platform and address new scientific challenges for Australia
CSIRO Future Science Platforms (FSPs) address new scientific challenges for Australia. They are an investment in science that underpins innovation that has the potential to help reinvent and create new industries. FSPs allow the development of capability and capacity for a new generation of researchers to work with CSIRO on future science.
The Microbiomes for One Systems Health - FSP (Microbiome FSP) is offering an opportunity for a highly motivated research scientist to work in the area of Host-microbiome Integration. In this role you will join an activity area which is focused on understanding the inter-connectivity between microbiomes and livestock animals. You will undertake research involving integration of multi-level systems information including phenomics, genomics and microbiomes particularly in ruminants, and possibly expand to other production species.
The research involves defining the contribution of the microbiomes and host to the “whole” animal through iterative microbiome/host network analysis to generate insights and strategies that consider the dynamics of the complete system. Possible outcomes will involve identification of component specific targets for improved productivity/health and integration of all components for better genetics and higher accuracy of animal predictions. You will work closely with postdoctoral fellows and students within the activity area and have the opportunity to build a network with the other scientists within the Microbiome FSP.
In this role you will:
- Prepare research proposals and carry out innovative investigations, including experimental and/or computational research activities.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team.
- Supervise and/or train other staff members, postdoctoral fellows, and students.
- Network with scientific colleagues across a range of disciplines and recognise opportunities for innovation.
Location: St Lucia (Brisbane) Queensland
Salary: AU$100 – AU$108k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term ending 30 June, 2025, full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, molecular/ microbiology, population genetics or genomics; or similar.
- A minimum of approximately two years of industry/postdoctoral experience in a relevant field.
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research and a publication history of authorship on scientific papers in relevant peer reviewed journals.
- Programming experience in bash, R, python and/or other programming languages.
- experience in microbiome analysis, and systems biology approaches to analyse complex traits of large multi-omics datasets.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
- Onshore Australian and New Zealand Citizens
- Onshore Australian Permanent and temporary residents (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates)
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent; or
If the successful candidate is not an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, they may be required to undergo additional security clearances, which may include medical examinations and an international standardised test of English language proficiency (i.e. IELTS test).
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 30 September, 2021 (11pm AEST)
- Closing Date:
- 30 Sep 2021
- QLD - St Lucia
- AU$100 – AU$108k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: