Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, in the areas where we live and work across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Ongoing opportunity to apply your veterinary knowledge in a unique environment
- Make a direct contribution to strengthening Australia’s biosecurity controls
- Join our close-knit, supportive team at the ACDP, and really make a difference!
As a Duty Veterinarian with the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), you will be part of the Veterinary Investigations and Epidemiology team within the Diagnosis, Surveillance and Response Program. Liaising closely with partner agencies and other submitters, you will participate in the delivery of ACDP's diagnostic services. You will coordinate laboratory testing, as well as interpreting and reporting results. There may also be opportunities for investigative work or capacity building in the Asia-Pacific region.
The successful candidate must hold a Veterinary Science degree (registerable in Australia) in order to act as an approved signatory for diagnostic reporting under ACDP’s NATA accredited Quality Assurance System. As well, the appointee must be able to meet ACDP microbiological security and security assessment requirements.
In this role you will:
- Under the supervision of the Veterinary Investigations and Epidemiology team leader, deliver ACDP's diagnostic services.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team on transboundary animal diseases and emergency animal diseases in Australia and the Asia Pacific region.
- Contribute to maintaining ACDP's Emergency Animal Disease Response Plan.
- Contribute to the coordination of ACDP's training programs and activities.
- Operate under and help maintain the laboratory's quality assurance and accreditation.
- Provide technical information and advice to various agencies, and communicate research or technological results in internal and external forums.
- Collaborate with other project scientists to publish results of investigations and service activities in official reports, industry and scientific publications.
- Undertake hands-on animal handling, husbandry and technical tasks.
- Participate in an on-call roster, working after hours and on weekends.
Location: Geelong – Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), Victoria
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in Veterinary Science registerable in Australia.
- A high level of scientific knowledge in, or sound relevant experience with a desire to increase knowledge of, transboundary and/or zoonotic animal diseases.
- A record of client focus in the delivery of services.
- The ability to work co-operatively as a member of a larger project team and to network with scientific and industry colleagues across a range of disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to influence and persuade others on issues that may be contentious at times.
- Willingness and ability to participate in an on-call roster for after hours and weekends.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 3 February, 2022 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 03 Feb 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$102k - AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
- Veterinary/ Animal Science