Director - Health & Biosecurity
Director - Health & Biosecurity
- Create national and global impact through critical research into human health and biosecurity threats
- Leverage CSIRO’s unique research and innovation capabilities
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
The Health and Biosecurity (H&B) business unit is one of nine impact science business units in CSIRO. The business unit focusses research and development around building Australia’s resilience to health and biosecurity megashocks; supporting the technological and digital transformation of healthcare and biosecurity systems; and improving health and wellbeing of all Australians. It is comprised of three research programs that span the biosecurity, health systems and human health sectors, with approximately 350 staff located across Australia and Europe. The business unit delivers a P&L budget of approximately $110 million per annum (FY23). The H&B business unit has been on a steady growth trajectory since forming in 2015, and its strategy outlines significant additional growth opportunities across both the health and biosecurity sectors.
Your duties will include:
CSIRO is looking to appoint an exceptional leader who can provide vision and direction for the delivery, adoption and impact of H&B’s research. The successful candidate will have a strong track record leading a broad portfolio of collaborations, projects and people in a R&D context. Their focus will be on growing science investment, driving commercialisation and translation outcomes, and delivering national benefit.?The Director is an enterprise leader and a member of CSIRO’s Leadership Team. They are responsible for all aspects of leadership of the business unit, and they will have relevant domain expertise and global market knowledge. The Director will maintain the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing, and demonstrate strong financial management and acumen. Outstanding communication and leadership skills, stakeholder engagement ability, a growth mindset, and a strong bias toward collaboration are extremely important.
The Director will foster effective internal and external links and relationships. They will be a market leader who engages to understand customer needs and create opportunities, as well as an organisational leader who directs the H&B team’s delivery and execution to ensure impact is realised. A track record building and growing relationships with a wide range of external partners across industry, academia and government will be very highly regarded.?
Location: Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra are the preferred locations, however other capital cities will be considered.
Salary: Attractive salary package including up to 15.4% superannuation offered
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Established credibility and respect in relevant domain/s with evidence of effective leadership of world-class research capability commensurate with the scale of the Business Unit.
- Evidence of strong engagement and communication skills and strategic relationship management that expands growth opportunities, drives commercial outcomes, and delivers national impact.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, empower and develop world class talent and to promote wellbeing and foster creativity.
- Demonstrated track record in leading a complex, multi-site and large-scale operation including managing financial and physical resources and creating a safe and healthy, inclusive and diverse workplace.
- Proven track record of successfully leading a diverse and multi-disciplinary team to deliver on strategic initiatives/in the translation of research, development and innovation outcomes.
- Demonstrated record of exemplary leadership behaviour, and an approach that actively promotes internal and external collaboration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with emerging global trends in the health and/or biosecurity markets.
- If you are Australian-based or have recently spent a significant amount of time working in Australia, it is expected you will bring a strong understanding of the Australian health and/or biosecurity sectors as well as relevant networks across government, industry and research institutions.
- International candidates will have experience working in a complex R&D environment that encourages cross collaboration, with an in-depth understanding of global innovation systems.
CSIRO is a values-based organisation. In your application and at interview you will need to demonstrate behaviours aligned to our values of: People First; Further Together; Making it Real; and Trusted.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To learn more about this role please contact CSIROHealthBio@kornferry.com
Candidates are requested to provide the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter – outlining the motivation and relevant capabilities and experience you could bring to this role. This document should not be longer than two pages.
- Contact details for three referees – Referees will only be contacted after prior consultation with the candidate.
- Date of commencement – An indication of the earliest date on which the candidate could commence in the position.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION DIRECTLY TO CSIROHealthBio@kornferry.com
DO NOT APPLY VIA THE CSIRO WEBSITE
29 January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We reserve the right to withdraw the advert if we find a suitable candidate prior to the closing date. We encourage you to submit an application early to avoid disappointment.
- Closing Date:
- 29 Jan 2023
- Attractive salary package including up to 15.4% superannuation offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Executive Management/Corporate Services