Protein Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
Burnet Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
Are you a motivated early career scientist with expertise in the expression, purification and structure/function analysis of proteins? Then this could be the role for you!
An exciting opportunity now exists for a Protein Scientist to join the Burnet Diagnostic Initiative (BDI)! You will work in a diverse team of scientists under our quality management systems on a range of projects to deliver high quality custom engineered proteins for use in research and development of diagnostics and therapeutic products.
Work across a range of projects from early-stage proof of concept studies to product development. You will perform protein expression and purification using mammalian, bacterial and insect cell platforms, protein characterization and immunochemistry.
Some of your duties will include:
- Conducting laboratory work under a quality management system
- Designing studies in accordance with customer and regulatory requirements
- Designing and developing new experimental procedures according to customer or BDI requirements
- Molecular biology including PCR, DNA cloning, sequencing, DNA/RNA purification, transformation.
- Identifying improvement opportunities across the work streams covered by the BDI’s Quality Management System.
- Preparing written reports using MS365 for internal and external communication
Refer to the attached position description for full details. This is a full-time position, initially for a 1-year period with the possibility of extension. Flexible working hours will also be provided.
Let’s talk about you
You will possess an in-depth knowledge of protein structure and function, with an ability to custom design proteins tailored to our needs and perform molecular biology. You’re also comfortable working fluidly between multiple projects, with an ability to contribute knowledge and technical skills to research and product development projects as required.
The following criteria are essential:
- BSc (Hons) or equivalent
- PhD in relevant area
- Protein chemistry, protein purification, immunochemistry, receptor-ligand interactions
- Independent and self-reliant worker who can operate in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer focus responsive to needs
- Ability to multitask
- Strong oral and written communication skills
The following criteria are preferable:
- Understanding of the regulatory framework for vaccines, diagnostics or therapeutics
- Previous experience working in ISO 9001 or 13485 or 17025 certified environment
The Burnet experience…
We want you to have a successful and meaningful career at Burnet and are committed to providing a supportive workplace environment for all our people. You will be part of a collaborative culture where progressive leadership, innovation, respect, and excellence are valued. Join a team of talented individuals who are passionate about what they do – improving the health of vulnerable communities around the world. Hear from some of our talented staff about their career journeys at Burnet here!
- A monthly accrued day off for full-time staff
- 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous salary packaging
- Opportunities for career and professional development
Who are we?
Burnet Institute is a leading Australian, unaligned, not-for-profit, organisation that uniquely links medical research with practical action to achieve better health for disadvantaged communities and help solve devastating global health problems.
Burnet Institute brings together a highly diverse skill base, with more than 400 staff and students working across cutting-edge research and projects to address some of the most relevant global health issues. Institute-wide interdisciplinary health programs Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health, Disease Elimination, Behaviours and Health Risks, and Health Security, are at the heart of our daily decision making. Harnessing our international and local field presence, our laboratories, and our mixed development and research cultures drives a greater focus on the most relevant health issues and achieves a greater impact as a result.
Whilst our headquarters is in Melbourne, Australia, we also have offices in Papua New Guinea and Myanmar, and are actively involved in research and public health programs throughout Australia, the Asia-Pacific region and Africa. Burnet is the only unaligned organisation in Australia that has dual accreditation with both the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Bring your whole self to work
At Burnet, we foster a diverse and inclusive culture. We want our people to feel like they belong and are free to be themselves at work. We have an active Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (GEDI) Council that works to promote and improve gender equity, diversity and inclusion across the Institute, by developing and implementing strategies informed by both national and international best practice and staff input. Burnet holds an Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award from Science in Gender Equity (SAGE).
Sounds great! How do I apply?
Apply below and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter addressing the key requirements
- Resume including the names and contact details of three referees
Applications close at 11:59pm AEDT on Tuesday, 17 May 2022.
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant will be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or National Police Check. Australian working rights and evidence of full vaccination against Covid-19 will also be required.
- Closing Date:
- 17 May 2022
- VIC - Melbourne
- $91k - $97k + super + salary packaging
- Work Type:
- Full Time