Quality Assurance Specialist
Burnet Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
An exciting opportunity exists for a Quality Assurance Specialist to join the Burnet Diagnostics Initiative (BDI) Quality Team at Burnet!
You will be a member of the Burnet Vaccine Initiative (BVI), which aims to accelerate the development of next generation mRNA vaccines for several infectious diseases. Some of your duties will include:
- Designing and implementing a suitable Quality Assurance framework to support the laboratory work activities across the individual BVI Teams.
- Implementing and supporting the quality control of incoming laboratory products in accordance with existing requirements and practice.
- Establishing, performing, coordinating, and monitoring activities for laboratory equipment maintenance, verification/validation, calibration, servicing, and repair.
- Conducting internal quality audits and prepare internal audit reports.
- Pro-actively identifying opportunities for improvement for the various laboratory processes and solutions to address them.
- Ensuring that laboratory activities and experimental records are standardised and documented to established criteria.
- Developing and implementing appropriate quality controls and criteria for the laboratory processes and products of the BVI Teams.
- Assisting laboratory staff in the recording of laboratory work and the preparation of documentation for laboratory procedures, reagents, and equipment.
- Providing verbal and written reports to management and BVI project leaders.
- Travelling to attend relevant work specific events (e.g. seminars, meetings or courses) to keep abreast of developments in the areas of work.
Refer to the attached position description for full details. This is a full-time position for a 1-year period. Flexible working hours will be provided.
Let’s talk about you
The following criteria are essential requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science/Biomedical Science degree in a biological or clinical laboratory discipline
- Experience in working within an ISO 9001 certified environment
- Experience with internal quality auditing
- Experience with immunoassays, protein production and chemistry, molecular biology, clinical and translational research
- Knowledge of techniques and tools for process improvement
- Strong laboratory and technical skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cooperate and be solution-driven
- Ability to be flexible and accommodate change
The following experience is preferable but not essential:
- Understanding of vaccine development and regulatory requirements
- Experience or understanding of microbiology/infectious diseases
- Proficiency in the use of electronic laboratory notebooks (ELNs)
- Awareness of laboratory OHS and risk management issues in a range of settings
The Burnet experience…
We want you to have a successful and meaningful career at Burnet and are committed to providing a supportive workplace environment for all our people. You will be part of a collaborative culture where progressive leadership, innovation, respect, and excellence are valued. Join a team of talented individuals who are passionate about what they do – achieving a more equitable world through better health. Hear from some of our talented staff about their career journeys at Burnet here!
- A monthly accrued day off for full-time staff
- 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous salary packaging
- Opportunities for career and professional development
Who are we?
Burnet Institute is a leading Australian, unaligned, not-for-profit, organisation passionate about social justice, equality and evidence-based research.
Burnet Institute brings together a highly diverse skill base, with more than 400 staff and students working across cutting-edge research and projects to address some of the most relevant global health issues. Institute-wide interdisciplinary health programs Disease Elimination, Health Security and Pandemic Preparedness, and Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health are at the heart of our daily decision making. Harnessing our international and local field presence, our laboratories, and our mixed development and research cultures drives a greater focus on the most relevant health issues and achieves a greater impact as a result.
Whilst our headquarters is in Melbourne, Australia, we also have offices in Papua New Guinea and Myanmar, and are actively involved in research and public health programs throughout Australia, the Asia-Pacific region and Africa. Burnet is the only unaligned organisation in Australia that has dual accreditation with both the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Bring your whole self to work
At Burnet, we foster a diverse and inclusive culture. We want our people to feel like they belong and are free to be themselves at work. We have an active Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (GEDI) Council that works to promote and improve gender equity, diversity and inclusion across the Institute, by developing and implementing strategies informed by both national and international best practice and staff input. Burnet holds an Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award from Science in Gender Equity (SAGE).
Sounds great! How do I apply?
Apply below and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
Applications close at 11:59pm AEDT on Monday, 6th February 2023.
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant will be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or National Police Check. Australian working rights and evidence of full vaccination against Covid-19 will also be required.
- Closing Date:
- 06 Feb 2023
- VIC - Melbourne
- $88,521 + super + salary packaging
- Work Type:
- Full Time