The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is dedicated to finding cures for cardiovascular disease and is one of the most respected heart research facilities in the world. Renowned for the quality of its breakthroughs, the Victor Chang Institute was established in 1994 and has grown to a team of almost 200 researchers from around the globe.
In 2016, the Victor Chang Institute established a Cardiovascular Research Innovation Centre, comprised of seven cutting-edge facilities, with a focus on Stem Cells and Regeneration, Cardiogenomics and Gene Editing, Cardiac Imaging, Arrhythmias, Transplantation and Devices, and Metabolomics. The new centre will attract world-class researchers and drive transformative research. It will allow scientists to access cutting-edge technologies, and will foster collaborations with clinical researchers and technological experts, all with a shared vision – to reduce the incidence, severity and impact of heart disease.
At the Victor Chang Institute we strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us and help us make a difference.
The Victor Chang Innovation Centre is seeking a research scientist to head the iPSC Research Facility, lead and manage the development and running of the Stem Cell Research Facility, and to facilitate its use to promote cardiovascular research in New South Wales, Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Set up the Stem Cell Research Facility
- Establish and maintain iPS cells
- Design and implement best methods for iPS cell differentiation into cardiovascular cells
- Design and implement best methods for genome editing of cells using CRISPR/Cas9
- Assist in designing and implementing methods for cardiovascular cell phenotyping
- Provide expertise in the latest developments in Stem Cell research and relevant technologies
- Provide training to researchers including post-graduate students
- Facilitate and promote use of the established Stem Cell Research Facility by Victor Chang Institute and external scientists to promote and lead cardiovascular research
- Support relevant research grant applications, including equipment grant applications
- Design/establish protocols and pipelines for automated production and maintenance of iPSC lines
- PhD or MD with expertise in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, or related disciplines
- Evidence of experience, e.g. cardiovascular research or related disciplines
- Strong practical expertise in differentiating iPSC and genome editing of cells using CRISPR/Cas9 iPSC, ideally iPSC differentiated into cardiomyocytes
- Strong practical experience in working with induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC), and with genome editing and cell phenotyping, ideally in a cardiovascular context.
- Experience in design/implementation of new methods
- Self-motivated and confident, willing to take the initiative
- Exceptional communication skills, and display strong leadership
- Experience in the supervision/training of research students and project team members
- A strong publications track record
- Experience in setting up an iPSC facility
- Experience in liquid handling/robotic cell culture
- Experience in electrophysiology
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience with salary packaging and superannuation options also available.
Terms of Position
This position is a five year renewable appointment.