The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is dedicated to finding cures for cardiovascular disease and is one of the most respected heart research facilities in the world. Renowned for the quality of its breakthroughs, the Victor Chang Institute was established in 1994 and has grown to a team of almost 200 researchers from around the globe.
In 2016, the Victor Chang Institute established a Cardiovascular Research Innovation Centre, comprised of seven cutting-edge facilities, with a focus on Stem Cells and Regeneration, Cardiogenomics and Gene Editing, Cardiac Imaging, Arrhythmias, Transplantation and Devices, and Metabolomics. The new centre will attract world-class researchers and drive transformative research. It will allow scientists to access cutting-edge technologies, and will foster collaborations with clinical researchers and technological experts, all with a shared vision – to reduce the incidence, severity and impact of heart disease.
At the Victor Chang Institute we strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us and help us make a difference.
The Victor Chang Innovation Centre is seeking a research scientist to head the Metabolomics Facility, lead and manage the development and running of the Metabolomics Facility, and to facilitate its use to promote cardiovascular research.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Set up the metabolomics facility
- Design and implement relevant methods and SOPs for metabolomics
- Maintain the mass spectrometers and related equipment to ensure effective functioning of the Facility
- Provide expertise in the latest development in metabolomics research and equipment
- Facilitate and promote the use of the Facility by VCCRI staff as well as external users to lead and promote cardiovascular research
- Provide training to researchers including post-graduate students
- Support cardiovascular research projects within the institute and with external users, as well as relevant grant applications including equipment grant applications
- PhD in Metabolomics, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline
- Evidence of experience (>3 years) in Mass Spectrometry based Metabolomics
- Strong practical expertise in liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry methods
- Experience in working with complex biological samples for small molecule analysis and multi-batch analytical experiments
- Experience in working with targeted and non-targeted metabolomics using mass spectrometry
- Experience in design/implementation of new analytical methods
- Self-motivated and confident, willing to take the initiative
- Exceptional communication skills, and display strong leadership
- Experience in the supervision/training of research students and project team members
- An excellent publications track record
- Experience in managing large biological/clinical studies
- Experience in metabolomics data analysis and statistics
- Experience in Mass Spectral Databases
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience with salary packaging and superannuation options also available.
Terms of Position
This position is a five year renewable appointment.