The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is dedicated to finding cures for cardiovascular disease through world class medical research. Established in 1994, it is the legacy of legendary heart transplant surgeon Victor Chang. Renowned for the quality of its breakthroughs, the Victor Chang Institute is working to discover better ways to diagnose, treat and ultimately prevent the onset of heart disease.
We are seeking an experienced and driven Media Manager for a 12 month maternity leave contract. In this role you will drive awareness of the Victor Chang Institute and increase support for its research. You will lead the design and delivery of external and internal communication activities for the Victor Chang Institute.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Enhancing the organisation’s brand profile through a proactive media engagement and communications plan
- Preparing media releases and statements and leveraging network contacts to publish quality stories in the media
- Tracking news and current affairs to identify new opportunities for the organisation to promote its brand and key messages
- Organising and managing press conferences as well as sourcing talent for media interviews
- Building brand awareness, developing marketing material and producing collateral for fundraising campaigns
- Working closely with scientists to effectively and strategically communicate complex breakthroughs and discoveries
- Maintaining the organisation’s website, following best-practice strategies to maximise site performance, generate web traffic and improve Google ranking
- Working with the Media and Communications Coordinator to develop, produce, write and edit innovative and engaging content for social media
We would like to meet you if you have:
- A degree in marketing, communications and/or journalism or demonstrated equivalent experience
- At least six years’ experience in PR, Media and/or Communications
- Experience in building brand awareness
- Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to translate complex matters into relatable copy
- Established media relationships and a proven track record of successfully pitching stories to the media
- A well-developed radar for newsworthy stories with a keen interest in news and current affairs
- An interest in health or science and an understanding of the not-for-profit landscape
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop, Premier Pro or other video editing software
What we offer:
- Salary packaging
- State of the art facilities
- Stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge medical research
- Collaborative team environment
We strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a great working environment. We value and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us & help make a difference.
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Applications close on 27 July 2018.