Predominantly funded by the Federal Government, the Faculty’s Rural Clinical School focuses on teaching excellence, social equality and research initiatives supporting local rural health outcomes. Committed local rural doctors with a passion for teaching and community deliver high quality clinical educational experiences for medical students and our Regional Training Hubs lead the way in developing vocational training opportunities and pathways in rural areas for graduating medical students, Junior Medical Officers and Interns.
Major teaching campuses located in Albury-Wodonga, Coffs Harbour, Griffith, Port Macquarie and Wagga Wagga, sub campuses in Grafton and Kempsey, and an extensive network of clinical placement sites in smaller rural towns across NSW and north-eastern Victoria, exemplifies the School’s rural character and develops student appreciation of primary health care and interprofessional collaboration in rural communities. https://rcs.med.unsw.edu.au/
About the role:
- 3-year Fixed-term, Part-Time (0.5 FTE/17.5 hr week) opportunity
- Academic Level D/E: $157K - $201K (+ 17% superannuation, leave loading & clinical loading if applicable)
- Based at Wagga Wagga campus
The Associate Dean, Rural Health (Riverina) position will be based in Wagga Wagga, and will play a critical senior leadership role in the promotion, advocacy and championing of rural medical education, including the expansion of UNSW Medicine’s offering to teach and train medical students in Wagga Wagga across all 6 years of our Medicine program, commencing in 2021. This position will make a significant contribution to the undergraduate program of Medicine offered across all campuses. This position will also be required to interact with Regional Training Hubs.
The role of Associate Dean, Rural Health (Riverina) will report to the Dean and will have multiple reports across the Riverina campuses. It is envisaged that this position will consult extensively and report regularly to the UNSW Riverina Medical School Oversight Council, a collaborative governance mechanism between UNSW Medicine and local representatives, supporting the effective and efficient delivery of UNSW’s undergraduate Medicine program in Wagga Wagga. The role will be located in Wagga Wagga but the need to travel to other UNSW sites is envisaged, as required. Please see the attached position description for full details Position Description - Associate Dean Rural Health Riverina.pdf
Skills and Experience:
At Level D
- A Higher Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline area, would be desirable, especially medical education, and an outstanding teaching and/or research record as evidenced by track record, for example through teaching leadership roles in undergraduate and postgraduate medicine and/or publications in top tier journals.
- A clinically active academic, in an appropriate medical discipline, with an understanding and appreciation of the values and roles of a major research university operating in an international context.
- A record of outstanding achievement and leadership in a managerial role in a University or professional setting.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and assessment in undergraduate and postgraduate medicine.
- A proven ability to attract research funding and publications in a relevant discipline.
- A demonstrated capacity for leading change in: delivery of education; conduct of research; the health system at clinical, research or education level.
- The ability to manage budgets effectively and according to school and faculty strategic priorities.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
At Level E (in addition to the above)
- Evidence of highly developed interpersonal and collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to work and influence across disciplines, faculties, institutions, industry and professional accreditation bodies
- Evidence of being an inspirational role model for other academics seeking mentoring, guidance, advice and support in educational activities
- Evidence of achievement in leading innovation, driving educational strategic initiatives and the development of new programs
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Contact: Professor Anthony O’Sullivan
Applications close: 11pm, 22nd November 2020
Find out more about working at UNSW at https://med.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity