Senior Social Worker Grade 2
Forensicare (View other jobs from this organisation)
- Social Worker Grade 2
- Full time, ongoing
- Based in Melbourne Assessment Prison Inpatient Acute Assessment unit
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
Forensicare (the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) is the leading provider of forensic mental health services across Victoria. We deliver recovery-focused programs to consumers with serious mental illnesses across the Victorian justice system, mental health sector, and the community--from early intervention and prevention, to inpatient care, rehabilitation, and community transition support.
Our services are delivered through:
- Thomas Embling Hospital: a secure mental health hospital
- Prison mental health services throughout Victoria
- Community Forensic Mental Health Service
We also work in partnership with Swinburne University of Technology through the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science to deliver a forensic mental health research program, specialist training, and ongoing professional education.
Forensicare provides a detailed reception mental health screening assessment for every prisoner received into custody at the Melbourne Assessment Prison (MAP) in Spencer Street West Melbourne; outpatient clinics to mentally ill prisoners within the prison; a 16 bed Acute Assessment Unit (AAU) which provides initial assessment and treatment to seriously mentally ill prisoners; an after- hours mental health crisis intervention service and consultancy and training services for prison and service staff on the treatment and management of male prisoners with mental health issues.
About the role:
The Social Worker is responsible for providing the ongoing development and planning of social work services by contributing to achieve and maintain a high standard of patient care on an acute forensic mental health unit. This entails recognising the needs of both individuals and families; within the boundaries set by professional standards, legislative requirements, organisational policies, practices and directives.
The position is required to complete psychosocial assessments and interventions. As part of the multidisciplinary team, this position will also provide the highest standards of clinical input, education and consultation regarding social and systemic issues, advocating for patients' rights and entitlements.
The position utilises social work models to intervene in systems in order to bring about therapeutic change, and applies social work approaches to fostering relationships with relevant agencies and team members.
- Provide support, advice and advocacy to patients, carers and families.
- Liaise, negotiate and deliver positive opportunities/outcomes for patients, and provide consultation to other clinical, disability support and welfare and support agencies.
- Participate in running educational or therapeutic groups.
- Undertake advocacy for both legal and family issues facing individuals.
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrate highly developed skills when undertaking social work assessments of patients
- Demonstrate skills in the appropriate assessment of patient discharge/release needs, and matching these with relevant services for the effective preparation and ongoing support of patients re-entering the community.
- Demonstrate knowledge of psychiatric assessment within the position's field of practice.
- Understand and have a basic knowledge of psychiatric interventions.
Mandatory qualifications & registrations:
- Approved degree in Social Work and eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions & leave entitlements
- Bonus payment for relevant postgrad qualifications
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare values a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
How to apply:
For more information about the role contact Sarah.Harvey@forensicare.vic.gov.au
- Closing Date:
- 21 Dec 2019
- VIC - Melbourne
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- Social Work/Human Services