Assistant Director (Executive Level 1) - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (View other jobs from this organisation)
Assistant Director (Executive Level 1)
Who we are
The Animal Health Policy Branch works with government and industry stakeholders to lead, influence and coordinate animal (including aquatic animal) health and marine pest policies and programs to mitigate the potential impact of pests and diseases on Australia's animal, human and environmental health. The branch does this by strengthening national prevention, preparedness, detection and response capabilities, and working off-shore with our near neighbours.
The Animal Disease Preparedness and Response Section works with governments, industry and other agencies to develop effective national policies and programs for emergency animal diseases of terrestrial species. It manages the secretariats for the Animal Health Committees and its subcommittees; contributes to the development of preparedness and response plans for emergency animal diseases; and develops tools to assist the identification and management of important exotic and emerging animal diseases. It supports the development of national laboratory policies, standards and testing procedures for emergency animal diseases. It also works with partners to strengthen the biosecurity resources and capabilities of our near neighbours.
The Animal Health Policy Branch has a vacancy at the Executive Level (EL)1 level (Assistant Director). While specific duties may vary slightly based on qualifications and experiences of the successful applicant, the general duties of this role include, but are not limited to, the followings:
- Providing high-level scientific and technical advice to advance national animal health strategies, policies and programs.
- In conjunction with government and industry stakeholders, developing and managing projects relevant to laboratory diagnostics and research in support of disease preparedness and response.
- Preparing timely and quality briefings, correspondence, reports and other submissions for the Minister and executives on animal health and biosecurity subjects.
- Representing the department in negotiations and discussions with other government agencies, industry groups and stakeholders.
- Managing secretariat services and staff as required.
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
- Well-demonstrated knowledge of and/or practical experience in animal/public health diagnostic laboratory services, including quality assurance and standards.
- Experience in working with a range of different internal and external stakeholders and in managing projects, including finance and staffing.
- A good understanding of Australia’s animal health system and biosecurity arrangements, including the Biosecurity Act 2015.
- Experience in research and/or policy development on animal health, especially concerning emergency animal diseases.
- Experience in managing secretariat services.
Job reference: 2022/2284
Flexible employment arrangements are available with the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Closing Date:
- 29 May 2022
- ACT - Canberra
- $112,294 - $120,780 pa plus superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Executive Management/Corporate Services
Veterinary/ Animal Science
- APS Classification:
- Executive Level 1