- Full-time position (Monday to Friday;1.0 FTE)
- Fixed-term 'til June 30 2021 with the possibility of extension
- Some "after hours work" (11:30 am to 7:30 pm) involved each week
Youth Focus is a for-purpose organisation with a mission to optimise life opportunities for young people experiencing challenges in mental health. The Youth Focus vision is that all young people are able to be healthy, engage in society and enjoy their own wellbeing and self-determination.
Youth Focus are currently seeking a Youth Engagement Officer to assist our organisation in delivering mental health and AOD services in Narrogin. Working in partnership with a DIDO Youth Focus clinician, this role will be responsible for assisting in the provision of Youth Focus counselling services with a focus on group work with young people across the Wheatbelt region.
In this role, you will:
- Work in partnership with the Outreach Clinician and other Youth Focus staff to provide youth mental health services to young people at risk of early psychosis, depression, anxiety and poor mental health outcomes;
- Provide practical Case Management support to clients to re-engage in community activities including GP medical care, school and employment;
- Provide support to families of young people with mental ill health, and help to create safe communities to decrease stigma;
- Increase awareness in the community about Youth Focus services, mental health literacy, and effective help seeking;
- Develop partnerships with local agencies, community groups, and sector networks to obtain better outcomes for youth mental health;
- Work with key stakeholders to increase access to appropriate services for young people in the community and identify the correct pathway of service for a young person with mental health concerns;
- Work with the Youth Focus team to develop psycho-education and training options for young people and workers to build capacity.
To succeed, applicants will ideally have:
- Demonstrated history of working well with young people.
- Local knowledge and experience of the wheatbelt.
- Experience in delivering community development projects/ programs or services.
- Significant experience in community engagement with culturally diverse populations.
- Experience in the use of social media and electronic technologies to support community engagement.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Computer literacy, particularly in the effective use of Microsoft Office and related programs.
- Understanding and experience of clinical/counselling services is preferred.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to be part of an innovative, diversified and growing organisation;
- Competitive salary with ongoing industry bench-marking and access to salary packaging;
- Well-appointed, youth friendly, office environment;
- Comprehensive training, induction and support within the role as well as ongoing quality supervision and professional development opportunities
- Above award annual leave, long service leave, paid parental leave and additional superannuation entitlements; and
- Vibrant staff engagement, talent management and recognition program with generous staff prizes.
If this opportunity appeals to you, please apply via Seek prior to 9:00am Tuesday 28 January 2020.
- Appointment to the role is subject to the successful candidate possessing a valid Driver's Licence as well as ability to ascertain a National Police Check certificate and Working with Children Check.
- Due to the high volume of applications for this role, only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted. For those that aren’t contacted, we thank you for your application and interest in a role with Youth Focus.
- For more information please contact Delroy on 6266 4333.
Youth Focus is committed to embracing diversity and eliminating all forms of discrimination in the provision of mental health services. Youth Focus welcomes all people irrespective of ethnicity, lifestyle choice, faith, sexual orientation and gender identity.