Lead, Microbiomes Future Science Platform - [Archived Advertisement]
Lead, Microbiomes Future Science Platform
- Coordinate CSIRO’s Microbiome research program across multiple application domains & business units
- Foster collaboration & mobilise resources to effectively execute research strategy
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office
CSIRO Future Science Platforms (FSPs) address future scientific challenges for Australia. FSPs support research teams that integrate science and delivery over the long term, looking to the future science needs of CSIRO and Australia, along with our external partners and stakeholders with a five to ten-year vision.
The Microbiomes FSP is developing new understanding of microbiome connectivity across the environment to human continuum and how system perturbations impact on microbiome functionality, diversity and systems health. A key objective is to capture greater benefit from microbiome interactions through more informative and predictive frameworks for functionality and by targeted interventions. Capacity to directly manipulate microbiomes across hosts and environments will provide new opportunities for bio-based solutions to be developed and applied to improve the health of natural and managed environments and for increased benefit to plants, animals and humans.
The Leader of the Microbiomes for One Systems Health FSP will coordinate a program of Microbiome-based research across multiple CSIRO Business Units and assist in the alignment with CSIRO BU strategies to deliver outputs and outcomes to support future engagement with external partners. The FSP Leader will report to the CSIRO Science Council and the Agriculture & Food Business Unit senior management team, but with clear connections to all participating CSIRO Business Units. The leader will be responsible for the day to day management of the science platform, be accountable for the delivery of science including the financial management of the platform.
The FSP Leader will be an impact driven, entrepreneurial and collaborative science leader who actively develops and manages an exciting portfolio of science across several application domains and across multiple CSIRO Business Units that includes; i) Environment, Soil & Plant Health, ii) Food Chain & Production ii) Diet, Gut and Health and iv) Optimized Industry & Urban Processes. A key responsibility is to promote collaboration across the science portfolio to bring the best internal and external capability to address the needs of the FSP.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: Support and develop the 5 to 10-year science vision; develop an R&D environment characterised by science excellence, creativity, innovation and flexibility; manage the research portfolio including prioritisation, resource allocation and financial accountability; progress opportunities and engagement with external stakeholders; conduct planning & review processes; utilise your international research reputation and credibility to promote engagement & collaboration across the Microbiome research platform.
- Capability Leadership: Build and assist in the support of research capability and professional development of scientists; attract, develop and support world class; resource planning; build effective teams aligned with the science platform; lead change initiatives; model appropriate and professional behaviour in the workplace; proactively manage people matters; strive for ‘Zero Harm’ (physical and psychological) and actively promote a healthy, safe and environmentally sustainable workplace.
- Engagement & Partnership: Manage projects with the support of Business Development and Business Unit Research Programs to ensure project delivery, schedule, scope and cost are being met; build strategic and collaborative relationships within CSIRO to support Business Unit strategies, including fostering mobility and cross?deployment of personnel; develop and maintain national and/or international research collaborations and professional networks to keep abreast of emerging advances in relevant science fields; communicate Microbiome strategy and Platform goals to internal and external stakeholders coordinate high level contact and customer engagements for future collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Resource Leadership: Lead and manage the Program’s financial resources, people, infrastructure and other assets; ensure effective management of physical infrastructure and resources in an environmentally sustainable way; ensure best practice governance, and management of commercial activities and intellectual property in the platform.
Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, or Perth (negotiable)
Salary: Negotiable (commensurate with experience) plus up to 15.4% super
Tenure: Specified term of up to 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- PhD in Biological Sciences or equivalent in a relevant field, combined with significant experience and depth of scientific understanding in an area relevant to microbiome-based research, or experience gained in R&D and/or with Industry.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, evidenced by high-level reporting, presentation and negotiation abilities, and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for complex proposals/ideas.
- Established reputation and credibility in the relevant biological sciences domain with evidence of effective world?class science, for example through publication, research and/or innovation leadership.
- Evidence of successful development, initiation and leadership of scientific research.
- Demonstrated ability to empower and develop world class talent and to promote wellbeing and foster creativity in and across multidisciplinary teams.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows new research partnerships and develops opportunities for future outcomes.
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of scientific and logistical challenges associated with the building of a platform area of new research.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
25 July 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 25 Jul 2021
- Negotiable (commensurate with experience) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Executive Management/Corporate Services