PM announces training facility in Tamworth
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced the funding of a new medical training facility in Tamworth, New England.
The $20 million project, funded over two years, will expand the medical training facilities in both Tamworth and Armidale. This includes:
- $15 million for a teaching and training facility at Tamworth on the hospital site;
- $5 million to be provided to the University of New England for a student facility at Armidale.
The Prime Minister also confirmed the funding for eight new medical specialist trainees and 16 new GP registrars in 2011 as part of the Government’s specialist and general practice training programs.
Ms Gillard said the announcement would complement the Government’s commitment to fund the majority of the $220 million major redevelopment and expansion of Tamworth Hospital.
The Federal Government’s contribution of $120 million for the stage 2 redevelopment will provide:
- 2 new operating suites/procedure rooms;
- 4 new operating theatre recovery units;
- 6 new emergency department treatment bays;
- an additional emergency resuscitation treatment bay;
- additional overnight bed capacity, increasing by 10 beds;
- an additional labour birthing room;
- 5 new special care cots;
- 7 new renal dialysis chairs;
- an increase in chemotherapy chairs from 8 to 14; and
- doubling the number of dental chairs from 4 to 8.