- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Health and Biosecurity!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system. CERC Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for three years or part time equivalent.
Emerging infectious diseases are of global concern, as highlighted by the COVID-19 global pandemic. More than 75% of emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic in origin (transmitted from animals to humans), and their incidence has tripled over the past 30 years. The increase of outbreaks been driven by a variety of factors including human encroachment into wildlife habitats, increasing urbanisation and climate change; Asia in particular is a global hotspot for zoonotic infectious disease emergence. CSIRO and JCU have partnered to build a research programme on emerging infectious diseases, focussing in Northern Australia and the IndoPacific region.
The focus of this position is on developing a digital decision support platform for detection and monitoring of emerging and neglected tropical diseases in Northern Australia and the IndoPacific region. The successful candidate is also expected to contribute more broadly to the overall research programme, based on their skills and interests.
Your duties will include:
- Developing a platform to inform the public, policy makers, and/or scientists for the detection, monitoring and decision support of emerging or neglected tropical diseases in Northern Australia and the IndoPacific region.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals, and applying non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Recording, managing, and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
Location: Townsville, QLD
Salary: AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years (Full-time)
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as data science/statistics, machine learning, IoT, applied mathematics, computer science, bioinformatics, epidemiology, sociology, other infectious diseases disciplines.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Quantitative skills, including cleaning and analysing data.
- Demonstrated scientific computing experience.
- Experience working collaboratively in interdisciplinary groups.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16th January 2021, 11:00pm AEDT