Health and Biosecurity Communication Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Health and Biosecurity Communication Manager
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join team CSIRO and make the Impossible possible!
- Drive an ambitious communications program that makes a positive contribution to society
- Provide strategic counsel for senior leaders and spearhead the positive positioning of CSIRO
Through innovative science and technology, CSIRO’s Health and Biosecurity (H&B) business unit aims to improve the health and wellbeing of all Australians and reduce the impact of biosecurity threats to agriculture, the environment and our way of life.
We are seeking a talented Communications Manager to drive the communication program for CSIRO’s work across H&B Reporting into the Executive Manager of Corporate Affairs, this position will see you managing a small team of communication advisors and working across the broader Corporate Affairs team. As our new H&B Communications Manager you will use your expertise to develop, lead, implement and evaluate communication and engagement strategies of strategic significance to CSIRO, with an emphasis on supporting the science impact delivered through H&B.
You will be leading the creation and delivery of integrated communication and corporate affairs for H&B, primarily focused on external communication and engagement, whilst also being mindful of our internal audience as an important stakeholder. You will be adept at working in complex environments, managing competing and changing priorities and your exceptional interpersonal skills come naturally and will be readily displayed. If you’re an unflappable operator who’s ready to drive an ambitious communications program that makes a positive contribution to society this may be the role you have been waiting for!
Your duties will include:
- Create and deliver integrated plans demonstrating science impact through leveraging media relations, digital and social, content and marketing communications to build and protect the CSIRO brand - focusing on ensuring we are relevant, engaging and accessible.
- Partner with and contribute to the H&B leadership team and others to develop, deliver and evaluate communication strategies that align with both the BU strategy and the Corporate Affairs strategy.
- Using communication expertise, develop strong trusted advisor relationships
- Identify and manage issues in conjunction with the Executive Manager, including planning, messaging and mitigation.
- Liaise with media to identify and develop compelling stories about CSIRO science.
- Initiate, develop or commission strong content for use in digital or media to illustrate CSIRO science and impact - focusing on it being relevant, engaging and accessible.
- Identify and develop opportunities for partnering sponsorships or events to reach key audiences.
- Identify critical internal and external stakeholders and establish networks to gain support for communication activities, particularly innovative ones that will have maximum impact.
- Demonstrate flexible thinking and adapt to and manage the increasing rate of organisational change by adjusting strategies, goals and priorities; and assess the risk and opportunity of identified strategies, options and actions.
- Act and/or represent the Executive Manager, Corporate Affairs as required, in both internal and external forums.
- Build and maintain team-focused relationships across all areas of the Corporate Affairs team, sharing knowledge and working together in pursuit of the development and promotion of best practice communication management.
- Build and lead a high performing team including responsibility for professional development and individual and team performance through coaching, counselling, feedback and influencing and motivating individuals and teams.
Location: Open to location in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra and Perth
Salary: AU$113k to AU$132k pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant experience in leadership and management within large or complex organisations.
- Demonstrated communication management experience in a complex business encompassing: Strategic planning and implementation, calculating risk, problem solving, effective team and budget management. Producing creative communication strategies delivered through multiple channels. Delivery of high-profile communication campaigns resulting in widespread national media coverage, stakeholder engagement and client satisfaction.
- Demonstrated experience assessing the risk and opportunities of identified strategies, options and actions and ability to overcome setbacks to achieve organisation-wide goals.
- Experience in issues management, stakeholder engagement and contemporary communication practices to achieve positive outcomes.
- Experience in managing and leading a high performing team, with a particular focus on instilling creativity and visionary thinking among team members, ensuring high standards of service delivery as well as technical output.
- Relevant tertiary qualification and seven plus years of relevant experience
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 28 August, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 28 Aug 2022
- AU$113k to AU$132k pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time