Molecular Biologist/Protein Chemist - [Archived Advertisement]
Burnet Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
An exciting opportunity exists for a Molecular Biologist/Protein Chemist to join the Immune Therapies team at Burnet!
You will work as part of the translational research program of the Immune Therapies Group which is applying its discoveries to the development of human therapeutic monoclonal antibodies that activate or control immune effector responses, with applications to cancer, inflammation and infectious disease.
In this role, you will:
- Produce recombinant antibodies by transfection of mammalian or other appropriate cell lines.
- Implement purification methods for the purification of high-quality recombinant proteins for in vitro and in vivo analysis.
- Characterise and evaluate recombinant antibody function and properties by various analytical techniques.
- Liaise with collaborators for the analysis of activities of the proteins and other relevant assistance.
- Engage with external service providers for determining product variability by MS and glycan analysis as well as other relevant assistance.
- Develop appropriate SOPs and methods for transfer to external providers to transition large scale protein production.
- Provide molecular biology and protein chemistry expertise to the Immune Therapies Group for the production, purification and characterisation of recombinant proteins.
Refer to the attached position description for full details. This is a 0.8 - 1.0 FTE (optional) position, initially for a 1 year period with the possibility of extension.
Let’s talk about you
The following criteria are essential requirements:
- A postgraduate degree or equivalent employment experience in relevant aspects of protein biochemistry.
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in the field.
- Strong track record of protein biochemistry including a working knowledge of a range of protein purification methods including ion-exchange and size exclusion chromatography, preferably using AKTA systems.
- Experience in transfection and production using Expi transient system.
- Experience in development and application of protein purification strategies for the isolation of functional recombinant proteins.
- Expertise in various analytical techniques such as ELlSA, SPR or BLI.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise from multiple activities and fulfil defined milestones and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain excellent records, including using full electronic record keeping technology (e.g. LabArchives) and databases.
- An ethos of working collaboratively within a research team and problem solving.
The following experience is preferable but not essential:
- Experience in industry-based research programs. Experience with in vitro and/or in vivo preclinical testing.
- Experience in development, validation of methods required for biological product analysis. The creation, development and reviewing of technical documentation (protocols, standard operating procedures, methods and reports).
- The ability to work within cross-functional teams with technical experts in any of immunology, virology, biochemistry and industry.
- Experience mammalian cell culture transfection for recombinant protein production. Experience in cell culture, transfection and assays of antibody function. Expertise in cellular immune assays.
- Monoclonal antibody engineering, production, purification and formulation.
- Molecular biology, including basic manipulation and purification of DNA, mutagenesis and understanding of expression vector construction. A knowledge of the analysis of protein and/or glycan variability in recombinant glycoproteins.
The Burnet experience…
We want you to have a successful and meaningful career at Burnet and are committed to providing a supportive workplace environment for all our people. You will be part of a collaborative culture where progressive leadership, innovation, respect, and excellence are valued. Join a team of talented individuals who are passionate about what they do – achieving a more equitable world through better health. Hear from some of our talented staff about their career journeys at Burnet here!
- A monthly accrued day off for full-time staff
- 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous salary packaging
- Opportunities for career and professional development
Who are we?
Burnet Institute is a leading Australian, unaligned, not-for-profit, organisation passionate about social justice, equality and evidence-based research.
Burnet Institute brings together a highly diverse skill base, with more than 400 staff and students working across cutting-edge research and projects to address some of the most relevant global health issues. Institute-wide interdisciplinary health programs Disease Elimination, Health Security and Pandemic Preparedness, and Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health are at the heart of our daily decision making. Harnessing our international and local field presence, our laboratories, and our mixed development and research cultures drives a greater focus on the most relevant health issues and achieves a greater impact as a result.
Whilst our headquarters is in Melbourne, Australia, we also have offices in Papua New Guinea and Myanmar, and are actively involved in research and public health programs throughout Australia, the Asia-Pacific region and Africa. Burnet is the only unaligned organisation in Australia that has dual accreditation with both the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Bring your whole self to work
At Burnet, we foster a diverse and inclusive culture. We want our people to feel like they belong and are free to be themselves at work. We have an active Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (GEDI) Council that works to promote and improve gender equity, diversity and inclusion across the Institute, by developing and implementing strategies informed by both national and international best practice and staff input. Burnet holds an Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award from Science in Gender Equity (SAGE).
Sounds great! How do I apply?
Apply below and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter + statement addressing the essential selection criteria (as outlined above and in the attached position description). Responding to preferable criteria is optional.
Applications close at 11:59pm AEDT on 11 April 2023. Applications not including responses to the essential selection criteria will not be considered.
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant will be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or National Police Check. Australian working rights and evidence of full vaccination against Covid-19 will also be required.
- Closing Date:
- 11 Apr 2023
- VIC - Melbourne
- $94k - $115k + super + salary packaging
- Work Type:
- Full Time