Public Health Registrar
Burnet Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
An exciting opportunity is now available to join our Public Health Discipline as part of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM) advanced training program.
The training will provide trainees with experience in the practice of public health medicine in appropriately supervised and supported environments. Trainees will acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes of a public health physician by completing, with guidance from regional education coordinators, supervisors, and mentors, placement in a variety of public health activities!
The training program consists of four key rotations:
- Management of Complex Chronic Disease in a Community Setting
- Indigenous Health and Health Practice in Remote Communities
- Surveillance and Public Health Program Evaluation
- Public Health Research
The specific structure of the Trainees program will be modified depending on the trainee’s interests, current public health projects and the requirements of the AFPHM Advanced Training Program.
These positions are accredited training positions in Public Health Medicine as part of the AFPHM Advanced Training Program. As such the trainee must comply with the learning requirements of the AFPHM as outlined in the Public Health Medicine Handbook (available on the RACP website).
Refer to the attached position description for full details. The position will be for 12 months (with possibility of extension), full time (part time arrangements are possible) and can accommodate flexible training needs. Working from home options are also available.
Let’s talk about you
Applicants may be in their first, second or final year of public health training. The following criteria are essential requirements:
- General medical registration with the Medical Board of Australia
- Master of Public Health degree (or equivalent degree) that satisfies the AFPHM compulsory core discipline areas or current enrolment in a Master of Public Health course at the time of application
- At least three years post graduate medical experience which may include one year of full-time study toward a Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Received formally assessed by the RACP as eligible to enter the enter the Public Health Medicine Advanced Training Program
- Interest in public health, infectious diseases, epidemiology
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and understanding of the importance of producing quality data
The following experience is preferable but not essential:
- Experience in working in community-based settings
- Experience in working with vulnerable and marginalised populations
- Capacity to spend time in rural and regional Victoria and international locations
- Report writing skills
The Burnet experience…
We want you to have a successful and meaningful career at Burnet and are committed to providing a supportive workplace environment for all our people. You will be part of a collaborative culture where progressive leadership, innovation, respect, and excellence are valued. Join a team of talented individuals who are passionate about what they do – improving the health of vulnerable communities around the world.
- A monthly accrued day off for full-time staff
- Flexible working arrangements
- 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Generous salary packaging
- Opportunities for career and professional development
Who are we?
Burnet Institute is a leading Australian, unaligned, not-for-profit, organisation passionate about social justice, equality and evidence-based research.
Burnet Institute brings together a highly diverse skill base, with more than 400 staff and students working across cutting-edge research and projects to address some of the most relevant global health issues. Institute-wide interdisciplinary health programs Disease Elimination, Health Security and Pandemic Preparedness, and Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health are at the heart of our daily decision making. Harnessing our international and local field presence, our laboratories, and our mixed development and research cultures drives a greater focus on the most relevant health issues and achieves a greater impact as a result.
Whilst our headquarters is in Melbourne, Australia, we also have offices in Papua New Guinea and Myanmar, and are actively involved in research and public health programs throughout Australia, the Asia-Pacific region and Africa. Burnet is the only unaligned organisation in Australia that has dual accreditation with both the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Bring your whole self to work
At Burnet, we foster a diverse and inclusive culture. We want our people to feel like they belong and are free to be themselves at work. We have an active Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (GEDI) Council that works to promote and improve gender equity, diversity and inclusion across the Institute, by developing and implementing strategies informed by both national and international best practice and staff input. Burnet holds an Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award from Science in Gender Equity (SAGE). If you have a reasonable adjustment, support, or access requirement at any stage of the recruitment process, we encourage you to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Sounds great! How do I apply?
Apply below and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Responses to selection criteria as outlined above and in the position description
Applications close at 11:59pm AEDT on Tuesday, 26th September 2023. Applications not including responses to the selection criteria will not be considered.
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant will be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or National Police Check. Current Australian working rights are also required.
- Closing Date:
- 26 Sep 2023
- VIC - Melbourne
- $107,268 per annum + super + salary packaging
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time