Join a dynamic team of research professionals to engage in collaboration and conduct research in Biomedicine at JCU
- Excellent research facilities and infrastructure
- Ongoing professional and career development support
- Work alongside world-leading Scientists
- Five weeks annual leave | cash out annual leave | time in lieu options
- Enjoy an affordable tropical lifestyle whilst still achieving your career goals
- Level A $69,717 - $93,159
- Level B $97,859 - $115,465
Creating a brighter future for life in the Tropics and beyond, through education and research that makes a difference locally, and globally, James Cook University (JCU) is now looking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow / Research Fellow, Bioinformatics. This is a full-time, fixed-term contract to 31 December 2026 and is based at the tropical JCU Cairns Nguma-bada campus, Smithfield.
With a PhD in the relevant areas of bioinformatics, computational biology, software engineering, biostatistics or related disciplines you will demonstrate extensive experience in the development of computational workflows and software tools; pipeline/algorithm development and implementation in R, Python, Perl, shell scripts; next generation sequencing data analysis (RNA-Seq, WGS, long-reads, single cell) and analysis of genetic variation.
You will also have:
- Evidence of a research track record including publications in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience developing bioinformatic software that is robust, scalable, and reproducible.
- Evidence of being team-oriented and motivated to work on fast-paced projects with a diverse range of collaborators with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
Biomedicine at JCU
Biomedicine at JCU has an excellent research profile in key areas relevant to the region, including infectious disease, immunology, microbiology, respiratory physiology, molecular biology and bioinformatics. These efforts are supported through high-quality research infrastructure in the campuses Biomedicine, Molecular Cell Biology disciplines and at the Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine (AITHM). We aim to strengthen both our research profile and teaching activity in these areas through this series of strategic recruitments to five newly created positions. You will join an established team at a time of exciting new growth helping to set the pathway for our future success.
Why make the change to Cairns?
Cairns is a very special part of the world, and our residents enjoy a great way of life. Our unparalleled natural attractions, superb climate, and tropical lifestyle makes Cairns one of Australia’s most desirable places to live, visit and do business. Cairns is a friendly, safe, and sophisticated international city, alive with charm and spirit. Cairns has world-class schools and universities, health services, sporting and recreation facilities and enjoys a wonderfully diverse range of community and cultural celebrations. Click here for more information on living in Cairns
At JCU we firmly believe that people are our most valuable asset, so we work to grow and diversify the skills, knowledge and capability of all our staff. We live by our values and deliver against our Strategic Intent in an environment that values respect, excellence and delivering a sustainable future for the people of the Tropics.
We support our people through the provision of:
- generous superannuation scheme with up to 17% employer contributions
- ongoing professional and career development
- attractive options for salary packaging
- 36.25 hour working week, with flexible work options
- Fitness Passport
- Employee Assistance Program
- on-site facilities including medical, cafes, childcare and gymnasium
- five weeks annual recreation leave with cash out annual leave and time in lieu options
- relocation and accommodation assistance may be provided
- access to online media subscriptions
- corporate discount on health insurance
- Authenticity | Excellence | Integrity | Respect
- Our values are the qualities that define what we stand for. They capture the standards that we live by and guide the way we behave and work together.
Visit the Careers at JCU website and apply for vacancy reference 18418 or Contact Matt Field (07) 4232 2047 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
James Cook University encourages people from all backgrounds who meet role requirements to apply. We value and celebrate the diversity of our community, and are committed to ensuring our community, and are committed to ensuring our learning and working environment is safe and welcoming