Research Assistant - Reducing Alcohol & Other Drug Harms - [Archived Advertisement]
South West Aboriginal Medical Service (View other jobs from this organisation)
Research Assistant - Reducing Alcohol & Other Drug Harms
The position will be expected to contribute to supporting, developing, and managing a program of research and work as part of an Aboriginal-led interdisciplinary research team of Indigenous and non-Indigenous researchers. The successful applicant/s will benefit from working with a large network of investigators, partners and stakeholders who have collaborated to co-design this program.
The Research Assistant/Fellow will work on the project entitled “Reducing alcohol and other drug harms in Aboriginal primary care”. This project is a partnership with the Southwest Aboriginal Medical Service (SWAMS). This study aims to improve existing approaches to alcohol and other drug use (AOD) care provided by SWAMS. This study will be the first of its kind to apply a continuous quality improvement (CQI) approach to address AOD issues in an Aboriginal community controlled primary health setting.
Specific requirements of this position include but are not limited to;
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent under section 50(d) Equal Opportunity Act.
- Must reside in the South West and have local knowledge about the community.
- Ability to take direction, determine priorities and manage workloads in order to meet agreed timelines and objectives.
- Demonstrated experience assisting in the development of community projects.
- Good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to drive to outreach to the Greater Bunbury and South West regions.
- Knowledge of existing approaches to alcohol and other drug care at SWAMS and/or other primary health care services.
- Substantial knowledge of or genuine interest in CQI approaches.
- Capacity to support SWAMS staff to interpret and analyse data to inform improvement activities.
- Experience in the collection and analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data
- Ability to communicate, engage sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal community and SWAMS staff, management and clients.
- Experience working in collaborative environments with a wide range of Indigenous and non-Indigenous stakeholders including researchers, health professionals and senior management.
- Willingness to travel interstate and stay for 3-5 days at a time.
- Demonstrated organisational skills, reliable and ability to work with limited supervision from the study investigators.
- Formal qualifications as a health professional with experience in primary health care.
- A certificate or tertiary qualification in [course] or similar field.
- Experience in CQI management, organisational change and/or coordination of health service reporting and/or accreditation
- Experience in facilitating group training and/or staff professional development
- Experience and/or qualifications in adult education / professional training
- Degree in primary health care/health services or related discipline
- A postgraduate degree or working towards
All candidates must have a current WA Driver’s License, WWCC and will be required to undertake a National Police Check prior to beginning employment.
The preferred candidate will also be required to provide a clear drug and alcohol screen prior to offer of employment.
SWAMS offers above award wages, salary sacrificing and packaging options, generous uniform allowance, professional development opportunities and a flexible working environment.
For further information about this position, please telephone Human Resources on (08) 9797 8111 during normal business hours.
To apply for this role please forward your Letter of application, addressing the selection criteria and your current CV to HR@SWAMS.com.au or please visit www.swams.com.au ‘Careers’ and follow the online application process.
Applications must be received by 5pm Sunday 11th of June 2023
SWAMS reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement prior to the stated closing date
- Closing Date:
- 11 Jun 2023
- WA - Bunbury
- Work Type:
- Full Time