CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neurobiology
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neurobiology
- Are you a motivated, early career scientist with interest in Neurobiology?
- Based at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) in Geelong
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science and technology research organisation
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
CERC Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for three years or part time equivalent.
This role is based at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) in Geelong. The project will integrate into and expand on-going research at ACDP to understand neuropathogenesis of viral infections and devise new strategies for protection of neurological health in infection and disease.
The fellow will design and perform experiments in high-containment laboratories to identify the viral mechanisms in these model systems using advanced light microscopy (confocal and electron microscopy) and biochemical, genetic and cell biology methods.
Your duties will include:
Under the direction of senior research scientists, the research fellow will:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes
- Conduct research investigations requiring originality, creativity, and innovation
- Plan and design relevant studies, including compiling and submitting documentation for institutional and regulatory approval
- Record, manage, and analyse data/information using relevant domain data science techniques
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents
- Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents
Location: Geelong, Victoria
Salary: AU$86k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as virology, neurobiology, immunology, cell biology or molecular biology.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in neuroscience research.
- Demonstrated experience in cell culture techniques.
- Experience in advanced cell culture techniques such as generation of organoids, primary cell cultures, microfluidic cell culture systems and stem cell-derived model systems
- Experience in biochemical and cell biological methods, including molecular cloning and gene editing techniques
- Experience in identifying novel neurobiological mechanisms associated with functioning, degeneration or development of nervous system
- Skills in virology techniques
- Experience in confocal microscopy methods, including fluorescently labelled protein analysis, live-cell imaging and advanced brain tissue imaging
- Knowledge in analysis of drug delivery systems to the brain in animal or cell culture models
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
The successful candidate will be asked to consent to National police check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Monday 15 March, 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 15 Mar 2021
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$86k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Infectious Disease/ Immunology